Eggplant Stuffed Peppers
- 6 bell peppers with tops sliced off, seeded
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1" dice
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chili powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced dried Italian seasoning or combo of basil, oregano, thyme & sage
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water or no-salt-added or low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped pecans or pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon Dr. Fuhrman's MatoZest or other no-salt seasoning blend, adjusted to taste
- olive oil on a paper towel
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and par-cook cleaned, seeded peppers, about 10 to 12 minutes, drain, set aside.
Sauté onion in dry skillet over med-high heat until soft. Add eggplant and a bit of water to prevent sticking if needed. Stir constantly and cook until eggplant is almost tender, then add mushrooms.
When mushrooms release their liquid, add cayenne, garlic, Italian herbs, black pepper, water or broth and tomato sauce, stirring to mix together.
Simmer over lowered heat until reduced and flavors are blended, about 20 minutes.
Mix chopped pecans or pine nuts and no-salt seasoning in a small bowl. Fill each pepper with eggplant mixture and top with nut mixture.
Arrange in a large pan which has been wiped with oiled paper towel to prevent sticking. Bake until nuts are toasted, about 25 to 30 minutes.